top of page

Lost power after a winter storm?  Follow these tips to stay safe and warm.
1. NEVER use a generator indoors, in a garage, basement, porch or near windows/air vents. Always run it outside to protect yourself from carbon monoxide poisoning.
2. NEVER use an oven to try to heat a home.  This is not only dangerous and a potential fire hazard, but also puts you at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning if you have a gas oven.
3. Use surge protectors and always unplug portable heaters before going to sleep.  When running portable heaters, keep them away from curtains or anything else that could easily catch on fire.

4. Drink plenty of water (bottled or distilled/filtered is best) and eat foods high in protein. Do what you can to stay hydrated and keep your energy up.

​5. Have carbon monoxide & smoke detectors with battery back-up. These simple detectors can and do save lives.

​​6. Have a disaster prep. kit & use flashlights vs. candles.  Click here for a complete list of what to include in a disaster kit.

7. Hang curtains/blankets in front of windows & place rolled towels next to door cracks to keep heat in.  However, when in direct sunlight, open the curtains to allow the sun's warmth to heat the room.
8. Let your faucets drip to prevent pipes from bursting. A slight drip is all you need from your faucet.

9. Wear multiple layers of clothing and cover extremities. Don't forget warm socks, mittens and a hat.

10. Keep a thermometer in your refrigerator and dispose items when the inside temperature rises above 40°F.  Perishable food is not safe to eat once the refrigerator temperature rises above 40°F. 

Cummins SMT Cheryl1 2018.webp
bottom of page